What can I do RIGHT NOW to help with my Mood?
1. If you’re anxious: Blood sugar regulation is key to leveling out anxiety. Eat protein every 3-4 hours. Try GABA starting at 250 mg and building until you're calm.
2. If you’re sad or want to escape: Exercise at least ½ hour each day. If you’re inside there are TONS of resources out there right now, let me know if you need me to point you in the right direction. Exercise will help endorphin production which is ESSENTIAL for positive, warm, loving feelings and alleviating physical and emotional pain. You can also try Endorphigen 500 mg, 3x a day to help with sadness, a need to escape or numb, emotional pain and even physcial pain.
3. If you’re down and depressed: Use LIGHT, for vitamin D, full spectrum sun lamps if you live somewhere that's not sunny. Get outside if the sun is out! Try 500 mg Tryptophan or 100 mg 5HTP for serotonin support, if you're not taking an SSRI.
4. If you need a SPARK of light … try Tyrosine. This is a magical amino acid that will give many people a little boost just 2-10 minutes after taking. DO NOT TAKE if you have migraines, high blood pressure, manic depression, Graves disease, PKU or Melanoma. Be cautious with Hashimoto's or Hypothyroidism. I use 1000 mg every morning. No coffee required! (Though I do love my coffee, but now I have one cup instead of three!)
5. Add a multi-vitamin to your regimen if you are not already taking one. This can help to consistently provide the co-factors which both your brain and your adrenal glands need to effectively cope with stress. Be sure it has adequate B6 and Zinc - at least 15 mg each. (My research also suggests that higher than normal levels of vitamins A, C, D and the mineral zinc are immune-protective, ask me about dosing)
What can I do RIGHT NOW to help with Cravings?
1. Keep blood sugar balanced by eating protein every 4 hours and using L-Glutamine between meals as needed. For those of you doing intermittent fasting, please watch to make sure that low blood sugar is not contributing to your anxiety by firing more adrenaline.
3. Try GABA 500 mg or Theanine 100 mg. Start "low and slow". You can add a dose every 5 mintues till you reach your body's ideal dose. Ie, once you feel more relaxed, stop! That's your dose. You'll know because you'll feel it!
4. Omega-3 fatty acids help support Dopamine as well as Serotonin, and can therefore help to reduce anxiety, worry, depression and thrill-seeking. Eat lots of salmon, ground flaxseed and walnuts!